College contents page evaluation
In my contents page, the title shows its a contents page, as it is in a large sized font, and in a bright yellow colour. It stands out which makes it easy to spot, and as it is on a single page it shows that the contents page consists of 1 page. However, I dislike the titles font, and I'm not fond of the layout of the title, I also think I should've changed the background colour because the contents page doesn't look attractive.
I included different sections in the contents page, these are featured articles and regulars. The features article only lists articles to do with Art, it also lists a number, which is the page number which tells the audience directly on what page the article will be on. Page 9, is the main page, as it is in the biggest sized font, and is near a image with page 9 which has an image of the cover star. The font size in the features section for different subheadings of articles decrease in the size of importance and with this the numbers are also descending. The font colour for all the subheadings are in colour red I did this because I wanted the red to contrast against the infused black and silver background, and red did the job in standing out between these colours. I don't like the amount of colour I have used in the contents page, as the red seems to be repetitive and doesn't make other subheadings standout as they are all the same colour.
The regular section gives information mainly about the college in general, there are puzzles and competitions to entertain the target audience, and information for students such as revision tips and many more. The numbers continue to descend till the last page which is page 40, the biggest sized subheading in the regulars section is the puzzle and competition, this instantly sends a message to the reader that the competition is significant.
I included 4 images, in the contents page, these are all images to do with art, and I have used the cover star and 2 individuals, who are holding up pieces of art work, which they are showing in a delightful manor with a polite gesture which reflects happiness as they're displaying their art work. The background of the pictures is silver and black which blends in with the original black ground which is the same colour, this is good as it makes the image blend in the background which shows no over lapping of images and is subtle. One of thing I dislike about the images, is the layout, as it is one straight-line of images, I could've scattered the images and positioned them using a sense of composition to help layout the images, to improve the focal point of the readers eye as they would look around on the magazine instead of focusing on the images, as images are normally the most attractive and eye catching feature whether it be on a double page spread, contents page or front cover, by equalising the images by having to images on each side it would entice the audience to look everywhere on the contents page, then focus on a specific side of the contents page.
Lastly, I included house style and colour scheme throughout, and made it specific, which is noticeable as all the titles are in yellow, these are "contents page", "regulars" and "featured articles" I did this because having a bright colours makes it stand out, however the colour yellow against the silver background. All other text is in red, this was a bad idea as all of it is in red and it doesn't really entice the audiences liking, to improve this I would use a range of colours which go accordingly to a selected colour scheme, which works together. The background which consisted of a mixture between silver and black is not appealing, as the grey background and the yellow coloured text do not go together, However, the black and yellow do show contrast. There is also not enough black showing as there is only a small portion of black showing and it is mainly in a corner where there is no yellow text visible.
Overall, I dislike my contents page, However, to improve my contents page I would to need to
1. Improve colour scheme as some colours do not go together
2. Re-arrange the composition and layout of images used
3. Have subheadings positioned in different positions
4. Change font to make text more appealing
Another excellent, detailed evaluation Abbas. Well done! VC
ReplyDelete