Monday, 22 September 2014

Completed Evaluation


Evaluation    

Target Audience – Ages 13–18

Research Skills -

During the induction assignment, I had to research quite a lot, while doing this I had to receive information about the music industry. My strengths are finding information about the music industry according to my target audience and this was quite successful as I managed to find artists with their opinion based on music piracy.

 A website I found extremely useful was http://www.upvenue.com/article/1590-musician-stances-on-music-piracy.html , this website helped me gather opinions of artists on music piracy, which I then used in my article as the artists on the website were targeted at my target audience.

However, my weakness in my research skills is my timing, as I had to look through many websites to receive valid information on the music industry and piracy, the cause of my misconception was the wording used in the google search bar, this was very time consuming and made me progress slower than I would usually progress.

Many websites, were not related to the information I was looking for, and some websites were not useful as the article published on the websites were published years ago, although the information I needed was there.

Lastly, while researching I managed to find a lot of statistics of music artists, but they were based in the USA and not the UK, this made it difficult for me as I was unable to source for information as the statistics in the UK and USA gave out different facts and figures on artists.

Journalistic and writing skills –

 

Overall for journalistic and writing skills, I found it hard as I struggled with the writing format on my target audience, as a person I am somewhat formal, and as my target audience was based on teenagers, I had to include informal language which was difficult for me. Also during class, our teacher didn’t teach us much about journalistic skills, which caused me to struggle while writing.

On the other hand, I did have some pre-knowledge on what to include from previous journalistic experience, for example using drop caps, captions and images within the article. However, to improve my article I could have included journalistic/writing skills such as using pull quotes, subheadings and more use of colour which was related to my target audience, by using these skills my article would have been improved to a further extent.

In design

Indesign is a program, I used to structure my article layout, while using it I had a lot of problems, first of all I had never used this program before, which meant it took me time to understand how to use it and while being completely new to the program I found it confusing. It was difficult at first, but I managed to overcome it. On indesign, it was quite easy to make an article as the tools were listed on the side of the program, there was a few tools I used in my article, such as a word box, arrow tool and font these were simple tools which helped me produce my article. Also in indesign I had to export my article in a jpeg and this allowed me to publish my article on my blog.

Web publishing skills

My strengths of web publishing skills, is that im good at using certain fonts that will attract my target audience, and with this also comes the use of using colour, because without colour an article doesn’t become eye catching. However, I do have weakness with my web publishing skills and this is whether to include information gathered in my article, sometimes I feel as if I include irrelevant facts or opinions which, may not be a part of the article

Audience feedback

I found the audience feedback useful, as it was to reference where I got my facts and figures from, however I also didn’t find the audience feedback useful because I only received 1 target, so I wouldn’t know how to improve it, from an audiences preference.

Targets

Over all I would set these targets on the work I produced

  1. Find relevant information regarding the article
  2. Always reference the source of information
  3. Be more innovative and in the format and features of an article
  4. Use all features e.g pull quotes, subheadings and references

1 comment:

  1. These are realistic and sensible targets which reflect your evaluative comments. You have used some nice media-specific terminology throughout and you've been clear and appropriate about your strengths and weaknesses. A good quality evaluation and a succesful induction overall. Vanessa

    ReplyDelete